Author: A Compilation
Translator(s)/ Editors(s): Swami Bodhasarananda
Publisher: Advaita Ashram
ISBN/UPC (if available): 9788175053489
Sri Ramakrishna’s heart is like an ocean in which the universe floats like an island. Awed by the infinite expanse around us, we in the universe constantly try to fathom this personality—each one of us in his or her own way. But each person’s perception is unique, as is the knowledge we obtain thereby.
This book, Approaching Ramakrishna, is one such humble attempt to comprehend this supreme reality. The essays contained here were originally published in the January 2011 issue of the English journal Prabuddha Bharata, Which was started by Swami Vivekananda in 1896. They were edited by Swamis Satyaswarupananda, Satyamayananda, and Madhurananda.
We are happy to publish this book on the occasion of the 175th birth anniversary of Sri Ramakrishna, whose advent brought about a momentous transformation in humanity.
This is the story of a Phenomenon. I will begin by calling him simply that, rather than ‘holy man’ ‘mystic’, ‘Saint’ or ‘Avatar’; all emotive words with mixed associations which may attract some readers, repel others. A Phenomenon is often something extraordinary and mysterious.
Ramakrishna was extraordinary and mysterious; most of all to those who were best fitted to understand him. A Phenomenon is always a fact, an object of experience. That is how I shall try to approach Ramakrishna.
--- Christopher Isherwood
Preface – Sri Ramakrishna: Abode of all Felicity
Sri Ramakrishna – A Unique Phenomenon
The Person and His Message
1. Understanding Sri Ramakrishna
2. The Magnitude of Ramakrishna’s Life and Message
3. Sri Ramakrishna – The ‘New Man’ of the Age
4. Understanding Bhavamukha – Sri Ramakrishna’s
5. Unique State of Consciousness
6. Sri Ramakrishna on Himself
7. Sri Ramakrishna in Contemporary Eyes
8. Sri Ramakrishna – A Wonderful Man
Traditions and Influences
9. Dashavatara and Ramakrishna
10. Kashmir Shaivism in the Light of Sri Ramakrishna’s Teachings
11. Re-visioning Sri Ramakrishna Tantra
12. Influence of Sri Ramakrishna on the Hindi Poet Nirala
13. The Natural way to Intimacy with God – Sri Ramakrishna’s Gist
14. The Practice of Modern Yoga – Sri Ramakrishna’s Four Contributions
Concourse of Religions
15. Sri Ramakrishna and Sanatana Dharma
16. Bhagavan Mahavira and Ramakrishna Coming for the Meditation but Staying for the Bowing
17. Sri Ramakrishna’s Legacy from Buddhist and Jain Perspectives
18. In the Theatre of Bhakti – One Dance, Two Dancers
19. Sri Ramakrishna and Sikhism
20. Sri Ramakrishna’s Sufi Sadhana
21. Ramakrishna, Christ, and Divine Incarnation Sri Ramakrishna and the Experiential Basis of
22. Vedantic Religious Pluralism
23. Finding the Explanation
24. Interpreting Sri Ramakrishna
25. Renewing the Study of Ramakrishna – A Proposal
26. Philip Glass on Sri Ramakrishna 27. Spiritual Mother-lines in India and the West Sri Ramakrishna’s Parables for Soft Skills