Author: Swami Ranganathananda
Swami Siddhinathananda/Several Contributors
Publisher: Sri Ramakrishna Math
ISBN/UPC (if available): 9788178235363
How to Organise one’s life in today’s world of industrialization, fast life and diminishing spiritual values? What Hinduism has to say? The Hindu scriptures are of two types: Shrutis and Smritis. Shrutis deal with Eternal Truths, and the Smritis, with the codes and conducts governing day-to-day life. While Shrutis never change, the Smritis undergo change keeping in view the changing circumstances.
This book discusses not only the role of earlier Smritis but also the need for a modern Smriti, along with a new meaning of Ashramadharma.
All Hindu scriptures are generally classified into two: Shrutis and Smrutis. Shrutis deal with Eternal Truths, and the Smrutis, with the codes and conducts governing day-today life. While Shrutis never change, the Smrutis undergo change keeping in view the changing circumstances.
The following essays deal with Smrutis-in all aspects, in a modern and contemporary context. Not only the role of earlier but also the need for a modern Smriti, along with a new meaning of Ashrama-dharama, is discussed here. Written by eminent monks and scholars, these writings were published in December 2002 as the Spotlight Issue of the Vedanta Kesari, the English monthly published from this Math. We are glad to publish them in the present form.
Discerning readers will find in them practical insights as to how to organise life in today's world of changing values and have fulfilment and meaning in life.
1. Swamiji on Shruti and Smritis
2. Universal Codes to Organise Life
3. The Spiritual Background of Indian Polity/Swami Ranganathananda
4. Some Codes from Manusmriti/Swami Siddhinathananda
5. Ashrama Duties in the Modern Context/Swami Mukhyananda
6. Swamiji and the Four Purusharthas/Swami Gautamananda
7. Do's and Don'ts for the Modern Age/Swami Satyapriyananda
8. Smritis Down the Ages: An Overview/Swami Kritarthananda
9. What is Dharma? /Swami Tattwamayananda
10. Varna Duties and Castes in Modern Context/Swami Sarvasthananda
11. Swamiji Interprets Sri Ramakrishna's Teachings/Swami Sunirmalananda
12. Moksha vis-a-vis the Four Yogas/Swami Sarvagananda
13. Vivekananda Smriti Applied to Daily Life/Swami Vipapmananda
14. Modern Man, Mind and the Meaning of Mythology/Swami Satyamayananda
15. Work and Its Goal/Swami Tyagarupananda
16. Smritis and Their Application to Modern Society/Major H. Subramanian
17. Universal Application of Karma/Yoga Dr. N.V.C. Swamy
18. Holy Mother's Guide to Living/Swami Vimurtananda
Sources and Contributors