Author: G Parasaswaran Pillai
Translator(s)/ Editors(s): Usha Sahana
Publisher: Sahitya Akademi
ISBN/UPC (if available): 9788126026685
This book is a collection of biographies of men who lived remarkable lives in the India of the nineteenth century. As we progress through the pages, many forgotten names, places and incidents are called to mind. Indeed, in some cases, the reader may be pleasantly (or otherwise) surprised at happenings that seem to echo incidents of the recent past.
Introduction by Usha Sahana
Preface to the Second Edition by G.P. Pillai
Preface by G.P. Pillai
Introduction by Richard Temple
1. Raja Rammohan Roy
2. Keshub Chunder Sen
3. Isvar Chunder Vidyasagar, C.I.E.
4. Dwarkanath Mitter
5. Ram Gopal Ghose
6. Hurish Chunder Mukerji
7. Kristo Das Pal, C.I.E.
8. Rajendra Lal Mitra, LL.D.
9. Krishna Mohan Banerji, LL.D.
10. Madhu Sudan Dutt
11. Bankim Chunder Chatterji, C.I.E.
12. Mano Mohan Ghose
13. Maharaja Sir Rama Varma, G.C.S.I.
14. Raja Sir Madava Rao, K.C.S.I.
15. Vembaukum Ramiengar, C.S.I.
16. C.V. Runga Charlu, C.I.E.
17. C.V. Runganada Sastri
18. Sir T. Muthusawmi Aiyar, K.C.I.E.
19. Tandalam Gopal Rao
20. Pundi Runganada Mudaliar
21. Gazulu Lakshminarasu Chetti
22. Salem Ramasawmi Mudaliar
23. Sir Jamestji Jijibhai
24. Sir Munguldas Nathubhoy, Kt.
25. Gokuldas Tejpal
26. Naoroji Furdunji, C.I.E.
27. Sorabji Shapurji Bengali, C.I.E.
28. Visvanath Narayan Mandlik, C.S.I.
29. Kashinath Trimbuck Telang, C.I.E.
30. Kursendas Mulji
31. Bhau Daji
32. Damodar Thackersi Mulji
33. Raja Sir Dinkar Rao, K.C.S.T.
34. Adjudya Nath
35. Gopalrao Hari Bhide
36. Sir Salar Jung, G.C.S.I.
37. Sir Romesh Chunder Mitter
38. Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
39. Mahadeoo Govind Ranade
40. Sir K. Sheshadri Aiyar, K.C.S.I.
41. Appendix : Swami Vivekananda
42. Glossary of Indian Terms Used in thisbook