Author: Swami Prabhananda
Swami Suhitananda/Several Contributors
Publisher: Sri Ramakrishna Math
ISBN/UPC (if available): 9770042298000
Is spirituality relevant today? That is the question we need to address. But the qustion of relevance of spirituality is connected to happines and peace. Spirituality or no spirituality, have men become truly more happy, peaceful, wise and trustworthy? We all know the answer.
Spirituality - and not just being pious and religious - alone has the answer to solve the riddle of life and bring prace and enduring joy in life. Why? Says Swami Vivekananda: - Spiritual knowledge is the only thing that can destgroy our miseries for ever, any other knowledge satisfies wants only for a time. A spiritually strong and sound man will be strong in every otgher respect, if he so wishes.
The last century, the term spirituality was used in a manner that it almost lost its dignity and potency. It was seen as a floaty term suited for the new age movement and received no acceptance by rational thinkers. Atheists in the West often ridiculed the term as utterly meaningless.
It the 21st Century we will see this term re-emerge to not only regain its dignity but occupy the centre stage in the realms of both religious and scientific thinking. Spirituality holds the key to reconciling a multitude of religious as well as religious and science oriented world-views.
It is not just the prophets of the past but the discoveries at the cutting edge of sceience that will also lead mankind to discover the spirit in the 21st Century - making spirituality appeaking to ever greater number of thinking people.
‘Are you growing spiritually? Can you love others? Can you feel oneness with others? Have you peace within yourself? And do you radiate it around you? That is called spiritual growth, which is stimulated by meditation inwardly, and by work done in a spirit of service outwardly.’
== Swami Ranganathananda
SPOTLIGHT: SPIRITUALITY TODAY
An overview of contemporary trends in spiritual living and essentials of spirituality
Why Spirituality Today?
‘One Must Practice Spiritual Discipline’ by Sri Ramakrishna
‘Spirituality, the Science of the Soul’ by Swami Vivekananda
‘Hear Ye Children of Immortal Bliss!’ by Timeless Wisdom of Spirituality Feature (Simhavalokanam)
Spiritual Life by Swami Bhuteshananda
The Synthesis of Science and Spirituality by Swami Ranganathananda
Science and Spirituality by Swami Tapasyananda
1. Upanishads: The Eternal Spring of Spiritual Life by Swami Smaranananda
2. Message of the Hindu Scriptures for the Youth by Swami Harshananda
3. Spiritualization of Life by Swami Gautamananda
4. Naumi Guru Vivekanandam: Contemplation on Swami Vivekananda: An Aid to Spirituality by Swami Chetanananda
5. Yoga in the Eyes of Swami Vivekananda by Swami Bhaskarananda
6. Global Spiritual Movement and Swamiji’s Universal Vedanta by Swami Bhajanananda
7. Living the Spiritual Life by Swami Dayatmananda
8. Resolving Inner Conflicts: A Spiritual Perspective by Swami Atmarupananda
9. How To Lead An Enriching Life: Lessons from Vedanta by Swami Brahmeshananda
10. A Life of Fulfillment and Peace—the Vivekananda Way by Swami Nityasthananda
11. Sarada Devi—A Great Spiritual Wonder by Swami Suvirananda
12. The Atman—Our Divine Core by Pravrajika Vrajaprana
13. Spiritual Life for Students by Swami Abhiramananda
14. Spirituality Today—Lessons from Ramakrishna by Swami Atmapriyananda
15. Spiritual But Not Religious by Swami Tyagananda
16. Practical Vedanta in the Contemporary Western Context by Swami Baneshananda
17. Conveying Spirituality to the Youth by Swami Sarvapriyananda
18. The Practical Spirituality of Holy Mother by Swami Mahayogananda
19. A Modern Approach to an Ancient Religion by Prema Nandakumar
20. Science of Spirituality by NVC Swamy
21. The Impact of Swami Vivekananda in the West: An Overview by Jeffery D. Long
22. Unselfishness—the Core of Spiritual Practices by R. Balasubramaniam
23. ‘Character is Spirituality': Cultivating Character of Youth in America by Vandana Jani
24. Is Virtue It’s Own Punishment?: Spiritual Quest and Pursuit of Virtues by Yogacharini Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani
25. Keys To Understanding Spirituality by M. Sivaramkrishna
26. Spirituality and Scientific Temperament: A Vedantic Perspective by N. Gokulmuthu
27. Seva—the Foundation-stone of Spirituality by Pramod Kumar
28. Man, the Maker of His Own Destiny: A Spiritual Perspective by R. Gopalakrishnan
29. Spirituality in the 21st Century—A Scientific Overview by Jay Lakhani