Shipping Note: This item usually arrives at your doorstep in 10-15 days
Author: S D Kamat
Publisher: Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratishthan
ISBN/UPC (if available): 8170841797
The subject matter of the work is the studies of the medicinal plants recorded in the compilation of Dhanvantari Nighantu. The compilation in one of the oldest available nighantu and the topmost authority on the subject of Ayurvedic botany and the pharmacodynamical actions of drugs on human body.
The original work of this compilation is the nearest to the classical texts of Ayurveda such as Caraka, Susruta, and Vagbhatta, etc. Hence the Compilation is helpful to know and identity the plants recorded in the classical books.
To understand the arrangements of the subject (of identification) and confirmation of plants of this nighantu, a particular method is adopted in this work and unless it is carefully studied, the work cannot be understood thouroughly. The Author has explained his method under he heading Proforma.
Two chapters with comments by Late Vd D K Kamat were published I 1972 and in 1979. Due to paucity of funds the Sanskrit text was not included at that time. In the present edition all the chapters with Sanskrit text, with different readings from various manuscripts and books, English translation of the text and notes, latest nomenclatures changes of the plants are included.
2. Forward to the vol. I by Pdt. Shivsharma.
3. Preface to the vol. I by Kamat & Mahajan.
4. Introduction to vol. 1 by Dr. G.S. Pendse.
5. Introduction to vol. 2 by Prof. P.V. Sharma.
6. The treatise and it’s constitution : i. The treatise. ii. The constitution. iii. Study of Ayurvedic Nighantus.
7. Proforma & system of transliteration.
8. Index of heading names.
9. Dravyavali, Mangalacaranam, purpose of the treatise.
11. Study of plants in Guducyadi chapter I.
12. Study of plants - Satapuspadi chapter II.
13. Study of plants - Candanadi chapter III.
14. Study of plants - Karaviradi chapter IV.
15. Study of plants - Amradi chapter V.
16. Study of drugs - Suvarnadi chapter VI.
17. Study of drugs - Misrakadi chapter VII.